Re: migration from cron.daily to systemd timers

On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 02:18:34PM +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> > Yeah, that's my reaction as well.  The point is to run the job
> > periodically.
>
> No. The configuration says CRON=1. It doesn't say PERIODIC_CHECKS=1. Your
> behavior here is pretty similar to Microsofts: Let the user decide if updates
> shouldn't be automatically installed and still install a bunch of them
> automatically without his approval independent of his decision.
>
> I have enabled a cron-job, not a systemd timer unit. And I don't want you to
> silently override this.

You haven't enabled a cron job, though.  You've edited a file in
/etc/default.  The variable happens to be named CRON, but that was never
a good choice.  That name was introduced >15 years ago by a previous
package maintainer, and is only there today due to inertia and a lack of
real need to move to something else.

Had the variable been named PERIODIC_CHECKS or something like that,
would your objections still stand?

noah