Re: Be nice to your fellow Debian colleagues

On Wed, Jan 01, 2020 at 08:09:09PM +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 01.01.2020, 11:19 -0600 schrieb John Hasler:
> > andrew.mcglashan wrote:
> > > ...it is very limited to a small group of Debian users known
> > > collectively as DDs...

> > It is limited to the people who actually do the work.  Why should the
> > fact that you chose to download, install, and use some software that
> > someone wrote and generously made available to you for free give you any
> > right to participate in their decisions as to what to do next.

> Even if users don't have voting rights we bound ourselves to them by the Debian
> Social Contract: "4. Our priorities are our users and free software [..]" to
> which all DDs agreed (myself included).

Right; so since all DDs are bound by this social contract, including when
we are voting in GRs, there is no need for more direct franchisement of
users in the decision-making processes since we are all acting in users'
interests.

> So there must be ways for our users to participate in the decision making.

All users, or just the vocal minority?

> Your view might reflect the current reality but it is not what we have signed
> up for.

The Social Contract only says that users are our priority.  It does not say
that we should implement any particular method of soliciting their input on
decisions.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/