Re: Be nice to your fellow Debian colleagues

Dear Andrej, dear Andrew,

Andrej Shadura - 01.01.20, 13:02:00 CET:
> On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 at 12:40, Andrew McGlashan
>
> <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
> > reasonable stakeholders, it is very limited to a small group of
> > Debian users known collectively as DDs .. the current "gods" of
> > Debian whom have ultimate power to do good or do bad with or for
> > the project. [Such] Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts
> > absolutely.
> You’re most obviously trolling. You clearly understand there has to be
> a way to limit the number of people taking the decision and the
> period of voting to prevent vote manipulations. I don’t believe you
> don’t understand everyone can become a DD, but it’s the DDs who do
> the majority of meaningful work in Debian.
>
> I’d like to ask everyone to stop feeding this troll, and if they
> continue posting this, report them to the listmasters.

Although I do not agree with the wording of the paragraph you quoted, I
did not see it as trolling. Especially in the first paragraph that you
did not quote, Andrej, I see a reasonable critique of the process.
Swinging the "troll" hammer can be a form of violence, too.

However both Andrew and you, Andrej:

I recommend to both of you as you have now stated your point of view
tough, to let it be as it is. Agree to disagree for me means letting the
other point of view to be there *as it is*. And I believe it would not
get better by elaborating it, at least not for now.

Note that this recommendation in my eyes is different than the other two
recommendations: By all means state your point of view, share your
emotions in a respectful and harmless manner, but when you are done, let
it be as it is, and see where this takes you.

Additionally to Andrew:

Regarding your wording in the last paragraph I strongly recommend to you
to open up to the possibility at everyone here may act with the *best
intentions*. I am sure that both Ondřej and Sam acted with the best
intentions. So I would not assume them to somehow act in a "corrupted"
way. In my eyes this part of your message has not been helpful. I
believe it may have been harmful or hurtful to some.

*Assume best intention* really goes a long way!

I now apply the recommendation to let it sit for a while to myself as
well. I have expressed my point of view as well – and I do not believe
that there is much to gain by elaborating on it, as I think what I wrote
has been clear. Luckily I am off to some other activity now. So I will
not see this list for a while.

Again:

Have a Happy New Year, everyone!

Best,