Re: Discussion tooling (was: Bits from the DPL (August 2019))

Hello,

On Wed 02 Oct 2019 at 11:30AM +02, Mathias Behrle wrote:

> first of all it would help a lot to identify when a new subthread is
> openend and make this visible in the usual way (like this mail does). It would
> increase a lot(!) the readability of Debian lists where this is an
> often encountered problem.

Thank you for the reminder about that; it's useful.

> BTW no discussion tool can help in automating separate discussion
> threads when the topic changes.

Yes, and more generally, what we are trying to deal with seems to be a
social problem, not a technical problem, so moving away from mailing
lists is unlikely to have a large impact.

> Meanwhile we are at the often introduced question if better tooling could help.
> I don't think another tool can save a lot of time. We *ourselves* can help
> that with more discipline in following the good old rules in marking subthreads
> when they are going offtopic. Finally the scheduling of the different topics
> led partly to the fact that only quite few members could participate. This will
> be a constant problem in a project of volunteers and I think we will have to
> live with that fact.

Yes.

--
Sean Whitton