Re: Debian part of a version number when epoch is bumped

Moin,
On Wed, Feb 07, 2018 at 12:25:10PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 07 Feb 2018, Chris Lamb wrote:
> > Could you please file bugs for these issues? Many thanks.
>
> Done:
>
> - https://bugs.debian.org/889814
>   Improve long description of epoch-change-without-comment
>   => Additional suggestions to put in the long description are welcome.
>
> - https://bugs.debian.org/889816
>   Complain when epoch has been bumped but upstream version did not go backwards

This should be documented somewhere where a regular DD can easily learn
about these restrictions. Looking at the debian-policy, I still do not see
what I did wrong with my recent upload:

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/

 5.6.12. Version
 The version number of a package. The format is:
 [epoch:]upstream_version[-debian_revision].

 The three components here are:

 epoch
 This is a single (generally small) unsigned integer. It may be omitted, in
 which case zero is assumed. If it is omitted then the upstream_version may
 not contain any colons.

 It is provided to allow mistakes in the version numbers of older versions of
 a package, and also a package?s previous version numbering schemes, to be
 left behind.
 [...]
 Note that the purpose of epochs is to allow us to leave behind mistakes in
 version numbering, and to cope with situations where the version numbering
 scheme changes. It is not intended to cope with version numbers containing
 strings of letters which the package management system cannot interpret
 (such as ALPHA or pre-), or with silly orderings. [8]

I did a mistake when I uploaded this version as a native package in 2006.
Unfortunately there have been no new upstream releases since, and there wont
be.  The upstream source consisted of two tarballs, which I shipped as one
containing the two.  The package received a bug to drop esound support, this
was a good opportunity to repackage everything from scratch with a simple dh
rule, and drop the no longer needed esound tarball.  I did not know that I
can upload an orig.tar.* with a debian-version >1, nor did I know that I was
supposed to workaround bugs in Ubuntu or filesystems that can not handle
epochs.  Please document this, not only in lintian.

If this becomes policy, I guess I need to skip 10 debian versions (probably
purging my last upload from the archives is not possible). How should I do
that correctly, without attracting another bug report? Should I just skip
debian version -2 to -11, should they be mentioned in the changelog but
never uploaded, or what it the accepted solution?

Christian