Re: Debian part of a version number when epoch is bumped

On Mon, Feb 05, 2018 at 10:43:17AM -0500, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> moon-buggy recently had its epoch bumped. The old version is
> 1.0.51-11, the new version is 1:1.0.51-1. I opened
> https://bugs.debian.org/887740

Sigh.
Indeed he had no reason to bump the epoch.
He couldn't see solutions, but the truth is that all he had to do was to
switch to 3.0 (quilt) with the -12 upload and clean up its sources.
moon-buggy_1.0.51.orig.tar.gz had never been uploaded, and even if it
was the epoch would have not allowed him to replace it as the upstream
version doesn't change with epoch changes.
This is one of the many situations where I'd like developers to *ask*
when unsure or uncertain of something.
So, in fact, the epoch bump was totally useless, and as it often happens
in those cases, it's causing headaches for somebody.

> The maintainer thinks the 1:1.0.51-12 version number would be "ugly"

Well, for sure bumping -1 → -12 is ugly...

> and the version number issue is only an Ubuntu-specific problem (given
> that the original 1.0.51-1 was superseded in 2006).

I agree this is an Ubuntu issue with their infrastructure.
Have you tried asking the ubuntu archive admins, maybe they could get it
through manually?

> I could not find anywhere in Debian Policy that directly addressed
> this issue.

Please don't consider the Debian Policy like a stick.  Or a all-kwowing
never-wrong oracle.

> Therefore, I'm bring up this issue here to get input from other
> developers.

If I were the maintainer, I'd just bump the version to get it through
LP, but I'm biased as I'm also a Ubuntu developer.
Otherwise, just manually merge it, doing the 1.0 native → 3.0 quilt move
properly?  Just that then the version are not going to match anymore for
a long while, and MoM is surely going to be confused…

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :