Re: Debian part of a version number when epoch is bumped

On Wed, Feb 07, 2018 at 09:18:03AM +0000, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 10:19:25PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 12:28:54PM +0100, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 08:37:44AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > I disagree - reusing file names with different contents in a
> > Debian-format archive is IMO always wrong regardless of the time elapsed
> > between uses - but it's unlikely to be worth arguing.
>
> Do you happen to know what was the reason somebody way back in time
> decided to not consider the epoch in the filenames?

My understanding is that it would have caused some kind of problems for
common operations at the time involving things like tar, but I'm afraid
I forget the details.  Ian Jackson would probably know ...

You can't put a : in a filename on a FAT filesystem.

And it was the directory delimiter character in HFS, so :'s still have weird behavior in OS X.

Mike Stone