Re: Debian part of a version number when epoch is bumped

On Wed, Feb 07, 2018 at 01:57:03PM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> I did not know that I can upload an orig.tar.* with a debian-version
> >1, nor did I know that I was supposed to workaround bugs in Ubuntu or
> filesystems that can not handle epochs.

Once again, I dispute that this is a bug in Ubuntu.  We just have
somewhat more stringent checks for duplicate file names, which any other
derivative or indeed dak itself might easily also have (indeed, dak does
check exactly this kind of thing, but has a shorter memory).

> If this becomes policy, I guess I need to skip 10 debian versions (probably
> purging my last upload from the archives is not possible). How should I do
> that correctly, without attracting another bug report? Should I just skip
> debian version -2 to -11, should they be mentioned in the changelog but
> never uploaded, or what it the accepted solution?

Simply jumping back to -12 seems perfectly reasonable; there's no need
for fake changelog entries.  There's no requirement to increment
versions one by one.