Re: Whether remotely running software is considered "software" for Debian.

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 10:46:16AM +0000, Dr. Bas Wijnen wrote:

> > > You cannot be serious...  You believe that if our rules say we should harm our
> > > users, the rules are more important than the users?
> > No, I believe our users are more important and so you shouldn't set
> > arbitrary restrictions on main just so your apt search output could be
> > untainted.
> Don't change the subject.  You say that non-free is essential for our users to
> be safe, but you find it acceptable that it is not enabled by default.
Have I really said that?

> > > Also, I'm interested to hear which rule would be broken
> > "Debian will remain 100% free", "non-free is not part of Debian" etc.
> Your position is that it is acceptable for a program in main to require a
> non-free service, as long as that non-free service doesn't run on the same
> computer.
Wrong.
My position is that it should acceptable for a program in main to require
a non-free service, or data, or whatever, as long as that program itself
is free and running it doesn't compromise the freedom of the user.
contrib should be for wrappers, downloaders etc. The policy uses the word
"supplemental".

> > > if we make it the default to provide our users with updates that they
> > > need to be safe.
> > But then you will be able to see and install non-free software, isn't that
> > what you don't want to happen?
>
> It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for our users.
Oh wow.

> Finally, for the third time, please explain your position on my hypothetical
> unrar-nonfree scenario.
I don't have a position in that scenario because I don't intend to dig it
and examine it.
I don't know why are you counting times unless you view this discussion as
a battle between you and the world.

--
WBR, wRAR