Re: Whether remotely running software is considered "software" for Debian.

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 08:55:43AM +0000, Dr. Bas Wijnen wrote:
> > > Are you saying that a Debian system where only main is enabled is unsafe?
> > [...]
> > > If that is correct, it is a huge problem that that is the default setup
> > > we ship, don't you think?
> > It is, but solving it most likely means actually violating Debian
> > principles,
>
> You cannot be serious...  You believe that if our rules say we should harm our
> users, the rules are more important than the users?
No, I believe our users are more important and so you shouldn't set
arbitrary restrictions on main just so your apt search output could be
untainted.

> Have you not read the social contract?
Have you?

> Also, I'm interested to hear which rule would be broken
"Debian will remain 100% free", "non-free is not part of Debian" etc.

> if we make it the default to provide our users with updates that they
> need to be safe.
But then you will be able to see and install non-free software, isn't that
what you don't want to happen?

--
WBR, wRAR