Re: apt-get dist-upgrade uninstalled most of KDE

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 10:28:57AM +1200, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
> The only other thing I did after the downgrade was to "apt-mark hold" the
> packages affected by the transition that I did not want to remove; this is
> my preferred tactic for surviving transitions.

On machines running unstable, I wish again and again for a way to tell apt
"do upgrade this package if possible, but never even contemplate removing
it".  This can be avoided by answering the question over and over, but this
gets tedious if the breakage lasts a week.  This is drastically worse on
second-class ports (apt tries to remove git because of git-man like half of
the time recently), but even on amd64 in-progress transitions are common.

So far I make equivs packages "keep-foo" and apt-mark hold them.  This
doesn't work that well.

Thus I wonder, is there a better way?

If not, adding a new mark "apt-mark unremovable" would be nice.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ James Damore is a hero.  Even mild criticism of bigots these days