Re: apt-get dist-upgrade uninstalled most of KDE

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 12:56:07PM -0700, nobrin@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just upgraded my system (Debian sid with main, contrib, non-free) to
> the most recent unstable version, running "apt-get update" and
> "apt-get dist-upgrade".
[...]

>From what I've been told you should basically only use 'dist-upgrade'
when you upgrade between different releases, eg. wheezy -> jessie,
jessie -> stretch, stretch -> testing/unstable.

If you upgrade the same release (eg. sid -> sid) you should normally
only use 'apt upgrade'. By using 'apt dist-upgrade' you're telling
apt that it's ok to remove things.

If you do use dist-upgrade in sid while transitions is still
ongoing/unfinished you will end up with lots of things removed.
At the same time you might need to use dist-upgrade to upgrade
things in sid after a transition has been made. You're basically
expected to be able to understand what apt is asking you and answer
correctly. Also when running sid you should be able to unbreak your
own system.

Regards,
Andreas Henriksson