Re: Naming of network devices - how to improve it in buster

Russell Stuart <russell-debian@stuart.id.au> writes:
> On Thu, 2017-07-13 at 11:21 +0000, Clinton Roy wrote:

>> Unfortunately, others have (well, not the kernel, but PCI):
>>
>> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2017-May/038924.
>> html

> If you plug new hardware devices in then of course things are going to
> change.  The claim really is "I don't change the hardware, I don't
> change the kernel version, but the hardware changes names".  It's hard
> to swallow.  I've never seen it.

Er, I saw this all the time without udev persistent naming.  Every time we
rebooted one of our servers, the four onboard NICs (of which we were only
using one -- long story, but basically that's just what the systems came
with out of the box and my employer at the time wasn't a big enough
customer to customize the hardware) would get randomly different ethN
device names assigned to them.  That's *why* udev persistent naming was so
important when we were using ifupdown to manage static network
configuration on servers.

The workaround was a bunch of bullshit in our install process to try to
figure out which NIC got the DHCP response and then pin that one to eth0
for subsequent boots.  (Which is basically what udev persistent naming
did.)