Re: Naming of network devices - how to improve it in buster

On Thu, 2017-07-13 at 05:20 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> Stateless "/etc".
>
> Systems with multiple NICs where the order in which they're
> recognized by the kernel can vary.

I asked for a person.  I guess I really asking for a use case.
"Stateless /etc" isn't either.

I've never seen the kernel vary the order it enumerates a PCI bus.
This isn't an accident.   Quoting "According to: "PCI Express System
Architecture" R. Budruk, D. Anderson, T. Shanley, ADDISON-WESLEY
DEVELOPER´S PRESS, 2003. ISBN: 0-321-15630-7, page 743":

    The specification states that the enumeration software must
    perform a depth-first search, so before proceeding to discover
    additional functions/ devices on bus 0, it must proceed to search
    bus 1.

I can imagine times where stateless etc is important - like embedded
boxes VM's configured by etcd.  But invariably in those environments
all devices are attached to PCI or similar.  Even if they aren't those
types of environments are managed by highly skilled people striving for
mass produced repeatability.  Tailoring systems to cope with /etc in a
ROM is their day job.  They aren't going to use Debian as it is served
up by netinst.

Personally I don't particularly care one way or the other.  But I've
seen a lot of complaints here about how frustrating the new system is
to use in real life, but I don't recall seeing any about how it helped.
 Maybe I missed it.