Re: Naming of network devices - how to improve it in buster

On Wed, 2017-07-12 at 17:35 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> I'd rather have breakage in this case than having to look for the
> interface every fscking time I need to run tcpdump, or having to
> adapt to an entirely new name schema like lanc0 and lanw0 to not
> stomp in the kernel's name space when using my own naming scheme.
>
> My finger memory will still type tcpdump -i eth0 before the brain can
> intervene ten years from now.

I still don't understand what use case the current scheme is aimed at.

It's not Network Manager users - they don't care about names.  I know
because I used Network Manager on my laptop.

It's not sysadmin's managing fleets of machines.  They need persistent
names, but you rapidly go insane if the lan NIC isn't named "lan0" or
something regardless of the machine your platform is running on.  So
you end up dropping your own customer files in /etc/udev/rules.d
anyway.  At least that's what I do.

It's not cli user who have plugged in a box and want to configure it
with the keyboard.  Anything attached to a PCI bus is usually
"persistent enough" because something hand crafted can also be hand
maintained if it does change.  As Marc says for devices whose names do
change en48e244f61c1b is not a sane solution. Even just having a
template file in /etc/udev/rules.d to jog the memory on how to assign a
persistent name is a better idea.

So who is the person who actually likes typing en48e244f61c1b?