Re: Naming of network devices - how to improve it in buster

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 15:20:41 +0200, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org>
wrote:
>Am 11.07.2017 um 12:14 schrieb Guus Sliepen:
>> Ok, it should be clear now that the new way of naming interfaces is not
>> ideal, but the older ways weren't either. Let's have a look at what we
>> want:
>>
>> - A simple name for systems with a single Ethernet and/or Wireless
>>   interface (the simple desktop/laptop scenario).
>
>How would you determine that a system will only ever have a single
>interface?

I'd rather have breakage in this case than having to look for the
interface every fscking time I need to run tcpdump, or having to adapt
to an entirely new name schema like lanc0 and lanw0 to not stomp in
the kernel's name space when using my own naming scheme.

My finger memory will still type tcpdump -i eth0 before the brain can
intervene ten years from now.

Grüße
Marc