Naming of network devices - how to improve it in buster

Ok, it should be clear now that the new way of naming interfaces is not
ideal, but the older ways weren't either. Let's have a look at what we
want:

- A simple name for systems with a single Ethernet and/or Wireless
  interface (the simple desktop/laptop scenario).
- A consistent naming scheme for interfaces in a system with multiple Ethernet
  interfaces (the server scenario).
- Not having interface names change after reboots.

It should work well in the following scenarios:

- Installing on a desktop/laptop.
- Installing on a server.
- Installing in a VM.
- Installing using debootstrap.
- Cloning a system.

The pros/cons with the various solutions:

- State file:
  - PRO: Once an interface has a name, it keeps that name on the same
    system.
  - CON: Does not work well when debootstrapping (it can copy the host
    config, when the intent is to run the deboostrapped filesystem on a
    different machine).
  - CON: Does not work well when cloning a system.

  The issue in both CONs is that eth0 for example is bound to a MAC
  address that is not used in the new system, so the new system gets
  eth1 for its Ethernet interface.

- Stable udev names:
  - PRO: Reliable names when installing on identical machines.
  - PRO: Handles cloning a system well.
  - CON: Can results in overly complex interface names.
  - CON: Does not handle changes in bus topology.

So, what can we do to improve the situation and get the best of both
worlds?

      Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>