Re: Naming of network devices

On 07/10/2017 07:31 PM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Which fails to mention how the feature can be configured and some mechanisms
> like relying on BIOS name, can be disabled, for example:
>
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/
> Networking_Guide/sec-Consistent_Network_Device_Naming_Using_biosdevname.html
>
> Funnily enough the Debian wiki page even mentions that some BIOS firmwares
> return crap as the onboard device number:
>
>> Sadly, the system used is still somewhat arbitrary in that it relies on the
>> BIOS enumeration which changes in with buggy BIOSs and under some
>> situations.
>
> without offering a solution:
>
>> For people using more than one Network Interface - we will just have to deal
>> with the new system.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/
> NetworkConfiguration#Predictable_Network_Interface_Names

I was under the impression that Debian does not even use biosdevname.
(I'm not sure anyone else still does.)

But I can be wrong, of course.

I think now that we released this the most straightforward way to go
about this is to cope and document for others. Personally I dislike the
idea of a state file that you need to know about to remove during
imaging, but to everyone their own.

If you use things like systemd-networkd[1], you'll also notice that the
configuration scheme does not even require you to specify the interface
to operate on. Instead you get a bunch of match expressions. Which
leaves things like daemons, which more often hardcode IP addresses than
interfaces, though.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

[1] Which indeed has flaws, most notably with IPv6.