Re: Naming of network devices - how to improve it in buster

On Thu, 2017-07-13 at 20:14 +1000, Russell Stuart wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-07-13 at 05:20 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> > Stateless "/etc".
> >
> > Systems with multiple NICs where the order in which they're
> > recognized by the kernel can vary.
>
> I asked for a person.  I guess I really asking for a use case.
> "Stateless /etc" isn't either.
>
> I've never seen the kernel vary the order it enumerates a PCI bus.
> This isn't an accident.   Quoting "According to: "PCI Express System
> Architecture" R. Budruk, D. Anderson, T. Shanley, ADDISON-WESLEY
> DEVELOPER´S PRESS, 2003. ISBN: 0-321-15630-7, page 743":
>
>     The specification states that the enumeration software must
>     perform a depth-first search, so before proceeding to discover
>     additional functions/ devices on bus 0, it must proceed to search
>     bus 1.
[...]

That does not define the order in which *drivers* are loaded and bound
to devices.  Further, driver binding is no longer serialised in Linux.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Design a system any fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.