Re: When do we update the homepage to a modern design? (was Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth)

Hi,

On 05/16/2017 01:48 AM, Sean Whitton wrote:

> More generally, while I agree that we should be flexible in the pursuit
> of new contributors and users, we mustn't lose our identity in that
> process.

Improving things doesn't mean destroying identity. We add and remove
archs, we added graphical installer, we don't configure graphics
manually anymore - did we loose identity? Social Contract and DFSG
ensure our identity imho.

>> Well Debian on its page doesn't mention it is Linux based or has Linux
>> kernel or at all word Linux.
> We have Linux, HURD and the FreeBSD kernel, though.  I suspect the
> thought was Debian hopes its practices, values and community will
> outlive any specific kernel, just like they could outlive apt/dpkg.

You could add the quote on which I quoted (lxde page doesn't say it can
be installable on linux) so my comment makes more sense and afaik, lxde
also can be installed on freebsd and hurd. I am there in hopes that
Debian will outlive all current things. :)