When do we update the homepage to a modern design? (was Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth)

On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 11:19 +0200, Arturo Borrero Gonzalez wrote:
> On 14 May 2017 at 11:58, lumin <cdluminate@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On the other hand, I fancy modern platforms such
> > as Gitlab, as a user. And wondering when Debian
> > will update its homepage (www.d.o) to a modern
> > design[1].
> >
> > [1] This is off-thread, but some of my young
> >     friends just gave up trying Debian at the
> >     first glance at our homepage.
>
> off-thread, yes. But please spawn another thread to talk about this
> real issue.

> Our users are really complaining about our look&feel in the web and
> we
> should address it.

I'm looking forward to a new design of our homepage, but I'm not
able to help since not familiar to this field.

Take a look at the homepages of major distros:

https://www.archlinux.org/
https://www.centos.org/
https://www.opensuse.org/
https://manjaro.org/
https://www.ubuntu.com/
https://getfedora.org/
https://linuxmint.com/
https://gentoo.org/

Especially look at the homepage of Gentoo. Some of you must
remember the old gentoo homepage, but now gentoo has a way much
prettier face. Then look at ours

https://www.debian.org/

We are the last major distro that move to systemd as the
default init system. And now we are the last major distro
that keeps an old design of homepage.

Debian is a community that driven by volunteers. I believe
volunteers are working hard for community at the points
they are interested in. I guess, possibly there are too few
volunteers able/intend to update the design, so the homepage is
just kept as is.

If none of the volunteers is willing to contribute a new
design, what about spend some money to hire several worker
working on this. neilm pointed out that we don't know how
to spend our money at Debconf16, that we don't know how
to spend our money. Making the community better is a good
reason for doing so, since a modern design may
attract more users/contributors, and is less likely to scare
newbies away ...

Even if Debian is ranked number 2 at distrowatch.