Re: When do we update the homepage to a modern design? (was Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth)

Le 16/05/2017 03:47, Nicholas D Steeves a écrit :
On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 02:17:40AM +0200, Stéphane Aulery wrote:

Yes, Debian is a community like another, and a community is build
with shared principles. Design isn't principle, it is just a shameful
exploitation of the idea of beauty, serving a precise purpose which
is not a shared principle. Wanting to do the number is not and should
never be a goal of Debian.

Debian say claim to be "The universal operating system". It should not be
understood that it is used by everyone but that is generalist
and at the service of all.

Design and advertising are one and the same, manipulating the mind through the image to obtain consent. We are stuck in this rotten atmosphere since
the interwar period.

Much longer than that!  See "beauty" "deception" "kalon" vs "kallos"
in Plato's writing.  While some people use beauty to lie and cheat and
bend both truth and understanding, this is not always the case.
Something that is beautiful can be admirable and true.

If Debian's structure is all of these things, then shouldn't also be
its artwork and design?  Even website design...  Isn't this the point
of the Fibonacci logo?

I did not want to talk about philosophers, it would have been pretentious. But you understood the message. Yes, beautiful, truth and being are one thing.

I think that Debian does not especially need aesthetic beauty research because it already has the accents of truth for it, and since it is one the same thing
it already has a little intrinsically.

Do we need to make a very beautiful site to bring people to us? No,
because Debian already has real principles that have attracted thousands of people.
Do we need to make a better site? Yes, because it goes together.

What I really want to say is that the original message calls for an aesthetic among others that is the one of the moment, but that is not what we should aim for as this kind of beauty does not fit the timeless beauty of the principles
of Debian since it is so quickly obsolete.

Regards,

--
Stéphane Aulery