Re: When do we update the homepage to a modern design? (was Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth)

Le 16/05/2017 02:27, Ben Hutchings a écrit :
On Tue, 2017-05-16 at 02:17 +0200, Stéphane Aulery wrote:
[...]
Yes, Debian is a community like another, and a community is build
with shared principles. Design isn't principle, it is just a shameful
exploitation of the idea of beauty, serving a precise purpose which
is not a shared principle. Wanting to do the number is not and should
never be a goal of Debian.

Debian say claim to be "The universal operating system". It should not
be
understood that it is used by everyone but that is generalist
and at the service of all.

Design and advertising are one and the same, manipulating the mind
through
the image to obtain consent. We are stuck in this rotten atmosphere
since
the interwar period.

Please tell me this is satire.  Because if this is serious, this is
seriously rude and dismissive toward everyone in Debian who thinks and
works at a higher level than hacking on code.

It's not all about the code.  Design matters.  So does creating a
community where all kinds of contributions are valued.

Debian is the second distribution without this beautiful design that
we are often asked. No ? I do not reject the work of those who
contribute anything other than code. I personally contribute mainly
translations. I only say that if we put a very beautiful facade
in the fashion of the day we will mainly attract people
who are superficial. That does not mean that things should not be improved,
but that it should be reasonable. Is it less hard?

--
Stéphane Aulery