Re: When do we update the homepage to a modern design? (was Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth)

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 01:42:09PM +0200, Arturo Borrero Gonzalez wrote:
> On 15 May 2017 at 13:30, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> > TBH if I was confronted with the new LXDE web design with CSS turned
> > on, I would probably just close the page. The old page is way more
> > informative and less heavy on the marketing.
> >

> Hi Paul,
>
> I believe that what we are actually looking for is a bit of
> improvement in the marketing side.
> Modern and fancy things.
>
> The LXDE example is good on that.

http://lxde.org/ seems to be the site in question. I agree with Paul,
I don't like it, and when I encounter pages in that style, I tend to
close the window.

* It's not nearly information-dense enough. www.debian.org is too
  dense, but the lxde one goes too far in the other direction.
  Something in between would be good.

* It's hard for me to navigate or to find anything. It has a short
  one-sentence summary ("Desktop environment for all"), but nowhere on
  the front page does it mention that it works on Linux. That
  information is probably on some other page, linked from the front
  page, but finding that is someone else's job.

--
I want to build worthwhile things that might last. --joeyh