Re: Feedback on 3.0 source format problems

On Jan 04 2017, Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> wrote:
>  ❦  4 janvier 2017 04:52 GMT, Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> :

>>>I believe the git-dpm approach would give you everything you want.  The
>>>explanation on http://git-dpm.alioth.debian.org/ is pretty good.
>>>
>>>I personally think that technically git-dpm's approach is the best -
>>>but
>>>unfortunately the program itself is effectively unmaintained and
>>>apparently/consequently not used by many people.
>>
>> The Debian Python Modules Team (DPMT) has about 1,000 packages with
>> git-dpm repositories.  While it took a bit of getting used to and
>> there have been a few problems, overall I think it's worked very well.
>> It's biggest problem is the lack of a maintainer.
>
> There have been a lot of complaints about it. For me, it is a pain to
> use. Its integration with gbp is poor,

Well, I think that is because it is mostly an *alternative* to
gbp. Other than gbp dch (which I think should work fine), what features
of gbp would you like to use with git-dpm?

> Since we started using it, we opened a lot of bug reports and not a
> single one of them has been fixed. I think that nobody wants to work
> on it because it is an extremely fragile tool and the first one to try
> to fix it will inherit of all the problems to solve.

Yes, I think that falls under "lack of a maintainer".

> Isn't "gbp pq" a correct execution of the same principles?

No, absolutely not.

Best,
-Nikolaus