Re: Feedback on 3.0 source format problems

On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 20:15:10 +0000, Sean Whitton wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 10:54:07AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Well, if we had one more thing: a patches.debian.org service that would
> > show the git-debcherry-extracted patches against upstream.  I really like
> > being able to just point upstream at all the patches relevant to them that
> > Debian has applied.
> That would be great.  Then the git-debcherry series would be available
> for those that want it, without requiring package maintainers to do any
> curation at all.

https://sources.debian.net/patches/ goes in that direction. AFAIK it
might not be complete and TTBOMK it hasn't been announced widely but
it exists and (I think) works for "3.0 (quilt)" packages.

For an example of a package using git-debcherry cf.
https://sources.debian.net/patches/libmodule-build-perl/0.422000-1/

Re git-debcherry in general: In the pkg-perl team we discussed and
experimented with it a few times. The final and not really solved
stumbling block in my experience is handling (as in: updating)
meta-information of a patch (DEP-3), e.g. for adding an upstream bug
reference. We played a bit with git-notes for that purpose but this
is quite clumsy, and although some very early tooling attempts exist
[0], the usage is still restricted to the 3 initial test packages
from August 2015, and there hasn't been any discussion in the team
since then.

Maybe for single maintainers and a couple of packages this
bookkeeping is less crucial; but for large teams and large groups of
packages having up to date information about e.g. the forwarded
status of a patch is quite essential.

Personally I have the feeling that lots of these discussions and also
the creation of new tools (git-dpm, git-pq, git-debcherry, dgit) are
just workarounds for the actual problem: Many of us would like to
work in and with git but the whole infrastructure still revolves
around tarballs and additions/patches to them; and therefore we're
creating even more sophisticated tools to translate between those two
worlds which try hard to first get the "old" world into a git-centric
workflow and then try hard to get the work out again, in a way that
can later be used again from "within". -- I know we won't get this in
2017, but still: I'd like to be a source package a git repo on
$whatever.debian.org, and an upload to be a git push of a signed tag
to the ftp-master remote. </vision>

Cheers,
gregor

[0] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-perl/scripts.git/tree/debcherry