Re: Feedback on 3.0 source format problems

On January 3, 2017 10:22:22 PM EST, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> wrote:
>On Jan 03 2017, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
>> It's surprisingly awkward, and, at least for me, it turns out that
>> externalizing my rebased branch as a patch series solves many of
>these
>> problems surprisingly well.  All the other solutions I can think of
>> require one or more things I don't really want to do: rebase the
>> debian/master branch, not be able to run dpkg-buildpackage from the
>> debian/master branch easily, or require that dpkg-buildpackage do
>much
>> more mucking about with source control than I want it to.
>
>I believe the git-dpm approach would give you everything you want.  The
>explanation on http://git-dpm.alioth.debian.org/ is pretty good.
>
>I personally think that technically git-dpm's approach is the best -
>but
>unfortunately the program itself is effectively unmaintained and
>apparently/consequently not used by many people.

The Debian Python Modules Team (DPMT) has about 1,000 packages with git-dpm repositories.  While it took a bit of getting used to and there have been a few problems, overall I think it's worked very well.  It's biggest problem is the lack of a maintainer.

Scott K