Re: unattended-upgrades by default?

On Wed, 2016-12-28 at 04:13 +0000, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> > > Postfix has no way to know it's temporary, so I think a temporary
> >
> > error
> > > would be wrong.
> >
> > It's easy to tell apart "can't connect to SQL" from "query succeeded
> > and
> > returned 'no such user'".
>
> That assumes it will eventually be turned back on.  Temporary versus
> permanent shutdown is what you can't distinguish.

MTAs should always assume a failure is temporary, if they can't tell.
If the failure is really permanent this delays bouncing to the point
that the sender times-out, but that is much less bad than the opposite
error of bouncing on a temporary error.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
No political challenge can be met by shopping. - George Monbiot