Re: unattended-upgrades by default?

Op 03-11-16 om 19:47 schreef Steve McIntyre:

> Thoughts?

I am doing this myself allready on desktop systems so I have some
experiences with it.

What I would really like is a mechanism where the user can tune after
how many days the upgrade will occur. Maybe a default could be after 2
days. People who like to have faster updates can change this to 0 days,
and this people do extra testing of the updates. When big problems occur
with an update, the installation of the update should be stopped in some
way for the people who have set it at 2 days.

It would be nice to have a way to configure a notice (by e-mail?) in
case of an error apt or dpkg error.

I would like something as "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade".
So not only "apt-get upgrade", and for everything in sources.list, so
not only for security updates. I would like to go from Debian 9.1 to
9.2, but not from Debian 9 to 10.

Using a program what has been upgraded can give strange problems. I have
seen this e.g. with e-mail clients and browsers. I would like it when
desktop users could get a message that programms has to be restarted.
Not sure this is important for servers too, I would think so.

I don't think it's an good idea to enable automatic reboots by default.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

https://www.vandervlis.nl/