Re: unattended-upgrades by default?

Op 25-12-16 om 06:36 schreef Samuel Thibault:
> Paul van der Vlis, on Sun 25 Dec 2016 01:34:15 +0100, wrote:
>> I would like it when
>> desktop users could get a message that programms has to be restarted.
>> Not sure this is important for servers too, I would think so.
>
> In a mail server we have, the mysql upgrades are problematic: while the
> sql server is off, postgresql reports that mailboxes (whose entries are
> stored in the sql database) don't exist, i.e. a permanent fatal error,
> and mails then get lost. We haven't found how to make postgresql return
> a temporary error instead, and so we have to be careful, when upgrading
> mysql, to keep postgresql stopped until mysql is restarted.

If you upgrade a program what's running, there is a difference between
what's in memory and what's on the disk. Sometimes this gives problems,
and it would be good the get a message that the program has to be
restarted. That is what I wanted to say.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

https://www.vandervlis.nl/