Re: opinions of snappy packages

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 05:29:12PM +0100, Iain Lane wrote:
> I don't understand this. What about Twitter clients[0], YouTube
> clients[1], Flickr clients[2], and probably clients for many other
> non-free web services?[3]

If a piece of free software requires, for its essential function, some
server-side software that's non-free, and there's no free
alternatives, then I think that free software belongs in contrib. This
is similar to a game that is free software requiring graphics or music
that's non-free and has no free replacements: the game belongs in
contrib.

I agree this should be applied fairly across all of Debian.

We have, for example, the translate-shell package, which seems to
provide an interface to the Google Translate service (which is clearly
non-free). It's in contrib.

We also have get-ipleyer, which downloads some files from the BBC
iPlayer service. It's in main. I think it should be in contrib.

Possibly I am in a minority here?

--
Schrödinger's backup hypothesis: the condition of any backup is
undefined until a restore is attempted. -- andrewsh