Re: opinions of snappy packages

(Disclosure: I work for Canonical, but not on Snappy.)

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 05:27:43PM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> […]
> Given that snapd therefore seems to be, in practice, only usable by
> Canonical's server, shouldn't the package be in contrib instead of
> main? At least until such time as there is a server side of this that
> can realistically be used with snapd (without changing its source) and
> that is free software.

I don't understand this. What about Twitter clients[0], YouTube
clients[1], Flickr clients[2], and probably clients for many other
non-free web services?[3]

There's a valid argument about whether Canonical has done the right
thing by developing non-free web service that Snappy relies on, but I
don't think that it is one that there is precedent to use to kick
something out of Debian ('contrib' is not Debian). If you want to set
one, then it needs to be applied fairly across all of Debian.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain@orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney@debian.org ]

[0] twittering-mode
[1] youtube-dl
[2] frogr
[3] I didn't check if these can operate on some other service, and
    therefore if this argument doesn't apply to them. Use your
    imagination, or your 'apt search' and find something which it does
    apply to.