Re: opinions of snappy packages

On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 03:44:54PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> snapd is available in Debian unstable for roughly the past two weeks.

Disclaimer: I've never used snap packages, and I haven't even read
their documentation.

https://packages.debian.org/sid/snapd indicates the package is in the
Debian main archive. The rant[0] by adamw (which I'm sure isn't nice
reading for the Ubuntu folk working on snaps and their tooling)
indicates that the server end is not free software:

    Here’s another interesting thing about Snaps: the server end (the
    ‘app store’ bit of the equation) is closed source,

Given that snapd therefore seems to be, in practice, only usable by
Canonical's server, shouldn't the package be in contrib instead of
main? At least until such time as there is a server side of this that
can realistically be used with snapd (without changing its source) and
that is free software.

[0] https://www.happyassassin.net/2016/06/16/on-snappy-and-flatpak-business-as-usual-in-the-canonical-propaganda-department/

Furhter, the snapd package description is as follows:

  This package contains systemd services that need to run on ubuntu core
  systems.
  .
  This package should not be installed on a Desktop system.

This seems to not be relevant for a package that's meant to install
snap pacxkages on a Debian system. I think it should be replaced by
something that is more useful to a Debian user/sysadmin.

--
Schrödinger's backup hypothesis: the condition of any backup is
undefined until a restore is attempted. -- andrewsh