Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

Eric Valette <eric.valette@free.fr> writes:

> But could you elaborate a bit on "mounting /usr early, something we
> *already do*" if you do not implicitly refer to initramfs solution.

There are other people who know a lot more about the machinery here than I
do, but my understanding is that we currently use a variety of hacks and
workarounds to try to make sure that /usr is mounted very early in the
boot process, before the various things that expect it to be there start
breaking.  Moving it into the initramfs stage will make this more
reliable, but I believe we're already taking special measures to try to
mount /usr early, as opposed to treating it like any other file system.

> I understand that for complex fs setup (lvm/raid/mounted networked
> fs...)  this may require to much work to be done realistically at first
> install (like the solutions above by the way), but for most common cases
> (two ext4fs on a same disk, or separate disk but same drivers sets), I
> do not get what really prevents to mount /usr really early and propose
> that as a viable alternative to the mess (3) we have been proposed.

The problem of getting /usr mounted before things start using it is mostly
separate from the question of whether we want to merge it with /bin and
/lib.  This thread is more about the latter than the former.  (Obviously,
mounting /usr early is a *prerequisite* for merging /bin and /lib with
/usr, which is why it comes up.)