Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On 2016-01-04 11:30, Marc Haber wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 22:30:24 +0100, Eric Valette <eric.valette@free.fr>
wrote:
System admins do like using absolute path
for security reasons...
Please also notice that this is the only option for ExecStart in
systemd units. Well played, Lennart.

Similarly skeleton-based init scripts use the full path as well. It helps if you can stat() it. Which, I guess, you could by extension by using "which" and the like. On the other hand init scripts are supposed to be runable in "env -i". Now, what would the PATH be for systemd to use? My skeleton-based init scripts ship their own PATH (yay, duplication and decentral configuration). I can see how you would want to use EnvironmentFile for that. But then, why not simply override ExecStart? And even then I don't see the point. (One reply would be "to reuse the distro-provided commandline arguments", which is fair, but you are already redirecting the path to the binary from the default anyway and are not using the distro one.)

You can continue to childishly blame Lennart for everything, but that might cause others to stop taking you seriously. Which isn't really what you deserve.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern