Re: Going ahead with non-free-firmware

On Sat, Jan 09, 2016 at 08:48:25PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Are we sure on the name? Previous commenters have suggested that
> "non-free/firmware" might be better. I understand that may be more
> awkward to implement in terms of directories... :-)

If my recalling is correct, at the BoF there was indeed a mild
preference for non-free/firmware, because that names better captures the
fact that /firmware is indeed a sub-part of "non-free" rather than
something new. There was also concerns that introducing something
*separate* wouldn't fly with the social contract, which explicitly
mentions main/contrib/non-free whereas it does *not* mention
non-free-firmware. In that sense "just" allowing to select a sub part of
non-free wouldn't be a problem, whereas introducing something new might
be.

But an important part of the above reasoning in favor of
non-free/firmware was that user enabling explicitly non-free in the
sources.list and *not* enabling non-free/firmware would get the non-free
firmware anyhow. I.e., no regressions or changes needed w.r.t. the
status quo. From other messages in this thread I understand this is
actually not going to be the case. Which would be problematic and also a
little bit disturbing. Is really no technical way to easily allow to
have packages in multiple (sub-)parts of the archive?

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader . . . . . @zacchiro . . . . o o o . . . o .