Re: Upcoming version of apt-file - using apt-acquire and incompatibilities

On Sat, Dec 05, 2015 at 07:58:07AM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2015-12-05 at 07:39, Niels Thykier wrote:
> >  * "apt-file update" will become a thin call to "apt update"
> >    - live-build uses this in a hook
>
> Will it still be possible to update just the apt-file index, separately
> from updating the main package index? I see no indication in the current
> apt(8) man page of a way to tell apt to do this.

You can't update individual indexes at the moment. The question is why
you would want to as from my point of view that was a pretty annoying
technical detail that I had to run two (or three [debtags] or more)
commands to get all the metadata. Probably because I forgot at least one
or some data was newer/older than other parts… so what is the usecase
exactly, maybe we can come up with something then (as I am sightly
lying, it is actually possible – just not very accessible for a user and
it would have issues so I am not going to say how here)

APT 1.1 is pretty clever in figuring out if a file was changed and for
the 'giant' Contents files it actually benefitial to run the update more
often as that means it can use the small PDiff files (a few KB each) to
patch up a previous version of the file instead of downloading the
entire file (~30 MB) again (as it would happen after ~2 weeks without an
update)…

[And before someone complains about PDiff being slow in apt based on
some years old experience: The PDiff handling was changed nearly two
years ago… – and apt-file was using PDiffs before already, so no real
change there]

> I don't use 'apt update', but rather 'apt-get update', paired with a
> separate 'apt-file update'. While unifying the two commands would be
> useful for those who use apt, it would also seem to leave those who
> don't with at most three options: switch to apt, stop updating the
> apt-file index, or deal with redundant updates to the package index
> (which might quality as "switch to apt" in practice).

There is no fundamental difference between apt and apt-get, they are not
only maintained by the very same people, but also use the same data and
code – the difference is just in a few options which have a different
default value (try "apt-config dump Binary::apt" for a list).

So, use whatever you prefer and use something different a second later.

And for that matter: Running any "update"-like operation with aptitude,
synaptics or any other libapt-based front-end is beside the display
pretty much the same code as well (and the exact same data), so they
will get all the same files and use all the same security features
(which, in the context of e.g. apt-file is new).

Best regards

David Kalnischkies