Re: Upcoming version of apt-file - using apt-acquire and incompatibilities

On 2015-12-05 at 07:39, Niels Thykier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the new version of apt-file (currently in experimental), we have
> changed/removed some features that will affect some packages.  Packages
> listed below are BCC'ed to this mail.
>
> Notably:

>  * "apt-file update" will become a thin call to "apt update"
>    - live-build uses this in a hook

Will it still be possible to update just the apt-file index, separately
from updating the main package index? I see no indication in the current
apt(8) man page of a way to tell apt to do this.

I don't use 'apt update', but rather 'apt-get update', paired with a
separate 'apt-file update'. While unifying the two commands would be
useful for those who use apt, it would also seem to leave those who
don't with at most three options: switch to apt, stop updating the
apt-file index, or deal with redundant updates to the package index
(which might quality as "switch to apt" in practice).

--
   The Wanderer