Re: system upgrade by systemd

Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> writes:

> On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 14:42:54 +0200, intrigeri <intrigeri@debian.org>
> wrote:
>>Marc Haber wrote (30 Aug 2015 11:43:09 GMT) :
>>> You reasoning again resembles what Microsoft says.
>>
>>I may be misunderstanding, but given what immediately follows ("I
>>don't know whether [...]) it seems to me that you're attaching
>>a negative connotation to this statement.
>
> There is. The decision not to allow end users even of the Professional
> Edition of Windows 10 to even postpone the download of Updates for a
> few days short of poking aroung in warranty-voiding registry keys is
> one of the most blatant misfeatures in Windows 10.

Quite.

Somone seems to have decided to treat our users as idiots in this case,
presumably because it is assumed that users cannot be trusted to do the
right thing.

I have been told by several newbies that the "updates available"
notification, and them subsequently following the prompts to update
their own system, was the first time they'd ever felt like they were in
charge of a computer, rather than the other way around.

I presume that Gnome upstream has since decided that the notification
was untidy, or some such, since I recently noticed one such user who has
seen no notifications since upgrading to jessie, and was therefore no
longer keeping up with updates.

How depressing.

Could we perhaps decide to buck this trend, and instead by default
assume that our users are not idiots?

Then we could just notify them when updates are available (as used to be
the case), and expect them to make an informed decision about whether to
update immediately, or perhaps wait until they get to a cheaper network,
or wait until after the important presentation they're about to give.

I don't mind if we have a pressed setting to turn this drivel back on
for sysadmins that know for a fact that their users will never do the
updates for themselves.

Cheers, Phil.