Re: system upgrade by systemd

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 01:26:13PM +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> 1) This feature is not enabled by default. It only gets triggered if a
> frontend tool makes use of it, and will not be activated automatically. So,
> you will only see it when you use GNOME with GNOME-Software or any other
> tool which triggers the functionality. Also, if it triggers the offline

And if whatever GNOME software that is triggers the feature by default it is
enabled. Nobody is trying to blame any single package AFAICT, we're trying to
find out which one enables a (anti-)feature by default that it shouldn't.

> update, you will have chosen to do that by clicking the "Reboot and
> Restart" button.

Eh? This neither makes sense nor is it true. A "Reboot and Restart" button
(if such a thing existed, could this be a typo?) would not give you any hint
whatsoever that the reboot process will perform updates. And besides, I
completely switched off my system and started it again later, when that
dreaded updated kicked in.

> 2) I tried to reproduce the behavior of getting offline-updates by only
> installing PackageKit in a clean Sid VM. Everything was behaving as
> expected, no offline-upgrade was triggered without a frontend tool
> requesting it. So, there is something really strange happening on your
> system to trigger this - more feedback would be welcome. It could be that
> GNOME-Software was installed, has triggered the upgrade once and the file
> triggering the upgrade has just not been removed, so the machine will
> endlessly try to upgrade. Although, this should actually never happen, and
> I would be very suprised if it does.

No, the file has not been there. I've had the problem before and checked for
it after the first incident.

> 3) If you want to complain, complain at GNOME for making this the default
> behavior for updating software. The lower layers are really not to blame
> here for executing a request from other tools.

I don't want to complain, I want this to be fixed. And I'm fine accepting
that the error is in GNOME, but where there?

> 4) The offline-uügrade failing is definitively a bug, but:

> > No, I think it's the GCC 5 and the corresponding ABI update that causes
> > this. aptitude proposed to remove 64 packages yesterday...
> >

> Since PK is not doing anything special and is just calling Apt to do
> things, any removal done by it is highly likely related to our GCC
> transition taking place. So at time, it's a good idea to perform updates
> manually.

Ha ha ha. I wouldn't have started this thread if I had wanted my system to
perform updates automatically. Statements like this are not exactly helping.

> To not trigger offline-upgrades, ensure that the file "/system-update" does
> not exist. (this file will only be created when some other tool triggers
> offline-upgrades).

Are you seriously suggesting I should check for that file *every* time I
reboot?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes