Re: system upgrade by systemd

Michael Meskes wrote:

> > update, you will have chosen to do that by clicking the "Reboot and
> > Restart" button.
>
> Eh? This neither makes sense nor is it true. A "Reboot and Restart" button
> (if such a thing existed, could this be a typo?) would not give you any hint
> whatsoever that the reboot process will perform updates. And besides, I
> completely switched off my system and started it again later, when that
> dreaded updated kicked in.

The GNOME story goes like this: when there are pending updates the
reboot / halt dialog contains a "install pending software updates"
checkbox, unchecked by default (as seen in attached screenshot).

Reading the code (gnome-shell/js/ui/endSessionDialog.js) what it does
is calling to PackageKit ("reboot" or "power-off"); this creates a
/system-update file (PackageKit/lib/packagekit-glib2/pk-offline-private.c).

This activates systemd-system-update-generator and system-update.target
gets run on startup; this runs packagekit-offline-update.service and
the pk-offline-update program is started.

Then there is GNOME Software.  If I read things correctly there is a
"gs-plugin-systemd-updates" plugin that also calls into PackageKit
(pk_offline_trigger) and it gets called when a "Update All" button is
clicked (gs_shell_updates_button_update_all_cb).

Also, in case of failure, /var/lib/PackageKit/offline-update-competed
is created with soem details.

That's all I found for now; still no idea about what triggered the
problem without user interaction.

        Fred