Re: system upgrade by systemd

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 06:00:50PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> I have been told by several newbies that the "updates available"
> notification, and them subsequently following the prompts to update
> their own system, was the first time they'd ever felt like they were in
> charge of a computer, rather than the other way around.
>
> I presume that Gnome upstream has since decided that the notification
> was untidy, or some such, since I recently noticed one such user who has
> seen no notifications since upgrading to jessie, and was therefore no
> longer keeping up with updates.
>
> How depressing.

On the other hand I don't see why I, as a user, need to care about the
constant churn of updates myself. Why do I have to spend brain cycles on
that? What are my options? Am I going to inform myself on each and every
update (which is what I do - out of curiosity - for every Windows
update)?

Option a): I don't update because I don't feel comfortable doing the
decision.

That's the approach I have seen with Windows users. "The update might
break something, it's better to wait everything out until someone
forces me to do something."

Consequence: Missing security updates.

Option b): I don't update because I know it might break me.

The hold-out only works for so long. I might hold back parts of Gnome
because I don't like the changes. I will soon be forced to force-feed
myself with the new update because something depends on it.

Helps if you temporarily want to avoid a bug for a week or two.
Only works for expert users or for high-profile bugs with high PR.

Consequence: Misery delayed, not avoided.

Option c): I am curious to see the list of updates and accept all
updates anyhow.

Consequence: Occasional breakage - potentially correlatable, up-to-date
system, brain cycles spent on things that might be better spent
elsewhere.

Option d): I just go with the flow and accept all updates silently.

Consequence: Occasional breakage - not necessarily correlatable,
up-to-date system.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern