Re: Pre-Depends: init-system-helpers

Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> writes:

> If you meant service, I think the answer is "that's a bug". service
> intentionally doesn't respect "enabledness" either, under at least
> sysvinit and systemd, so it's a bug even in the absence of policy-rc.d.

Right, service is a tool for the local administrator.  service should be
exactly the same as running the /etc/init.d script directly under
sysvinit, except with a sanitized environment and respecting an upstart or
systemd init system and its way of doing things if that's what one is
using.  That means a manual service start should override any policy.d
setting just like running /etc/init.d/service start would.

> I think the valid options for logrotate are either invoke-rc.d, or
> something that uses package-specific knowledge that a particular
> operation won't start the daemon if it isn't already running.

Yup.  invoke-rc.d if it's safe and won't start a service that's not
already running, otherwise something specifically crafted for that service
that has the right semantics.