Re: Pre-Depends: init-system-helpers

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 09:22:39AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@erisian.com.au> writes:
> > BTW, it occured to me that it seems like a wart that update-rc.d doesn't
> > respect policy-rc.d -- as it stands, policy-rc.d can prevent a service
> > from (re)starting during install/upgrade, but it'll still start on the
> > next boot. Is that just something that never got thought of / done, or
> > does it actually make sense?
> Consider, for example, bootstrapping a new system in a local chroot that
> will then be deployed as a virtual image.  You want policy-rc.d to prevent
> starting any daemons from the chroot while you're installing and
> configuring packages, but you still want all the service management links
> and policy installed as normal so that, after you turn this into a cloud
> image, everything will run properly.

Thanks, that makes sense.

I was thinking more along the lines of:

 - do the install with policy-rc.d overriding which services are active
 - once you change your policy (once you've finished bootstrapping), you
   change or remove policy-rc.d, and continue on your merry way

But having update-rc.d obey policy-rc.d would stop that from working
right; having /init/ obey policy-rc.d would work fine, but that's just
crazy complicated.

Followup question: does anyone actually use the detailed features of
policy-rc.d or is always used in practice to turn all init scripts off?

Cheers,
aj