Re: Pre-Depends: init-system-helpers

Anthony Towns <aj@erisian.com.au> writes:

> BTW, it occured to me that it seems like a wart that update-rc.d doesn't
> respect policy-rc.d -- as it stands, policy-rc.d can prevent a service
> from (re)starting during install/upgrade, but it'll still start on the
> next boot. Is that just something that never got thought of / done, or
> does it actually make sense?

I thought that was intentional behavior, that policy-rc.d changes nothing
except whether the service is actually started at the point at which it
should or shouldn't be started.

Consider, for example, bootstrapping a new system in a local chroot that
will then be deployed as a virtual image.  You want policy-rc.d to prevent
starting any daemons from the chroot while you're installing and
configuring packages, but you still want all the service management links
and policy installed as normal so that, after you turn this into a cloud
image, everything will run properly.