Re: Pre-Depends: init-system-helpers

Quoting Russ Allbery (2014-11-19 19:28:09)
> Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:
>
> > No.  That is too late.  By the time you are disabling something it has
> > already been installed and started in postinst scripts.  Using
> > policy-rc.d is the only way to prevent unknown anythings from being
> > enabled before installing.
>
> Ah, yes, that's true.
>
> > P.S. Related to this is that I really think that if you want a daemon
> > running and install it and the package can configure it and start it
> > then it should do so.  If you don't want something running then don't
> > install it.  Or remove/purge it.  I am not advocating any change that
> > would get in the way of making an installation not start a daemon that
> > it can do so.  The chroot case really is a special case.
>
> Yes, the general Debian practice is to assume that, if you install a
> daemon, you want the daemon running.  If that's not the case and you don't
> want it to start even temporarily, you're correct that policy.d is the
> only mechanism to achieve that.

Which implies, I believe, that any other way of starting daemons should
also respect policy-rc.d if it can lead to automated triggering.

Example: if a logrotate snippet uses "update-rc.d force-restart ..."
then suppressing that deamon with policy-rc.d will be circumvented when
cron triggers log rotation.

This can easily go unnoticed, because our most common use of policy-rc.d
(done also within debootstrap and cdebootstrap) suppresses _all_
daemons, including cron daemon.

 - Jonas