Re: Pre-Depends: init-system-helpers

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> > Maybe I am missing a better alternative?
>
> update-rc.d <service> disable

No.  That is too late.  By the time you are disabling something it has
already been installed and started in postinst scripts.  Using
policy-rc.d is the only way to prevent unknown anythings from being
enabled before installing.  That installation may be due to a
dependency.  Think dnsmasq.  Also update-rc.d only configures the boot
time configuration.  It doesn't affect things until you reboot.  It
doesn't affect postinst scripts.  Using update-rc.d is not a solution.

Bob

P.S. Related to this is that I really think that if you want a daemon
running and install it and the package can configure it and start it
then it should do so.  If you don't want something running then don't
install it.  Or remove/purge it.  I am not advocating any change that
would get in the way of making an installation not start a daemon that
it can do so.  The chroot case really is a special case.