Re: Being part of a community and behaving

The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> writes:
>> It is very tiresome that all this politicking seems likely to have
>> knock-on effects on our normal technical processes long after the
>> issues are settled.
>
> Arguably, if the politicking is still going on, the issues are in some
> important sense still not "settled"; even if/though they are in the
> sense that a project decision has been made, that is not the only
> possible or necessarily relevant sense of the word.

You miss my point.

The politicing will eventually end.

At that point the poor bastards that have been subjected to the game
playing will still be sensitive to the games for some time after that,
and may well end up seeing hidden agenda where none exist.

That's going to make it just a little harder to deal with bugs in that
area.

Add to that the fact that the current aggravation is already driving
people away from maintaining these packages, and from the project, and
From being as enthusiastic about other things in Debian, and you get a
significant chilling effect, which I'd suggest will continue for years.

People don't just put things on hold for a month or two.  They find
something else to do, get enthusiastic about it, and don't come back.

I'm sure some of the vocal minority will be happy that less effort will
be available for working on the things that they hate.  If so, they're
(unsurprisingly) being short-sighted.  Removing effort from these areas
doesn't mean that they'll disapear in a puff of smoke -- it just means
that there will be less effort to spare for accomodating the special
requirements they've been screaming about.

I suppose that at least that means that there's a learning experience
available here -- not that I expect many to understand the lesson.

Cheers, Phil.