Re: Being part of a community and behaving

On 13/11/14 18:22, Tobias Frost wrote:
Sometimes, a joke is just inappropriate, regardless how funny it may seem.
Sometimes, a joke is better not made, regardless how funny it is.

We have enough bad karma these days, no need to pour gasoline on the fires.
Civility ism after all, so important to free speech (http://www.popehat.com/2014/09/06/u-c-berkeley-chancellor-nicholas-dirks-gets-free-speech-very-wrong/). I mean, people have the right not to be offended (http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech#Right_not_to_be_offended).
I assume we're all adults after all.
Including the ones doing the reading?

Seriously. You are free to feel the joke was in poor taste. My stake in this particular game is not deep enough for me to think so, but taste is a matter of opinion.

Which is precisely the point. Taste is a matter of opinion. Limiting speech to only the things everyone agree are in good taste greatly limits the speech (see first link for in depth explanation of why). I don't think I'd like this forum to regress to that point.

I'd say more, but I just feel like I'm repeating what the two links I provided are saying. I suggest we do, indeed, act like adults. Please try to refrain from jokes other will find offending. If you see such a joke, please try to refrain from stirring the fire by saying it's wrong. Just, you know, be adults...

Shachar