Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2014, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > > What exactly is your use case you feel this is essential for?
> >
> > I think this discussion is in danger of going round in circles.
> > I'm going to leave it here and let Raphael get on with it.
>
> I understand Ron's logic and there's certainly value in questioning the
> need for something. But this is always a question of cost/value.
>
> Even if we don't have an immediate need for this property, the problem
> is that we can't always envision all the ways people will want to use
> the repositories (isn't that what you were trying to tell me about
> how upstream can use git?) and I'm pretty sure that dropping the epoch
> will be annoying to someone at some point. And the cost of not dropping
> the epoch is not very high.

I fully agree.  Please, lets just keep the epoch which is the safer design
choice anyway, and get done with it.

Also, we have a fully reversible, human-friendly mapping to deal with : and
~ already, it has been in use by git-buildpackage for years, it is tested,
and it works.  I suggest we remove the risk of making things worse by
gratuitous overengineering (URL-like %-encoding, etc), and mandate the use
of the simple 1:1 map already ( [:] maps to [%] and [~] maps to [_] ) for
the Debian-compatible git-tag version namespace.

Whether the upstram version string is compatible or not with the Debian
version namespace and the Debian git-tag version namespace is a non-problem:
the upstream version WILL have been reduced to something compatible to be
usable for the package version in debian/changelog already, anyway.

Therefore, there is no space for ambiguity here. % and _ are *illegal* in
the Debian version namespace, so they can be freely used to translate from
the Debian version namespace to the Debian version git-tag namespace.

And anything that compares the upstream version namespace and the Debian
version namespace directly (or via their git-tag namespaces) is Utterly
Broken in the general case anyway, even if it will often just work
(particular case).

  Henrique Holschuh